Monday, May 26, 2008

Here's to Change!


I'm Juli, one of Dr. A's guinea pigs (in the best possible sense, of course!)
This is a picture of me at a picnic last summer. This was one of three pictures that have been taken of me in the last year--yes, just three, because I really hate having my picture taken. The first picture that jolted me was with my cub scouts. I was a volunteer den mother for awhile, and we did a service project for the Crescent Trails Association when I lived in upstate New York last year. I hadn't hidden behind the boys yet, as I usually do when someone sticks a camera in my face. When I got the newsletter in the mail, the cubs were all excited that they made a real "newspaper." All I could think about was the spillage over the top of my jeans.
Then this picture. Not one of my best, but I've looked worse. Hello, I've had two c-sections! I've looked much worse.
The the third picture? My husband tried to take some tonight....my "before" picture for this project. It was me against a bare wall, in jeans and a v-neck t-shirt (the mom uniform.) We must have taken ten shots, and all I could do was stare at what I saw on the digital camera's screen, then delete. Delete. Delete! You know how they say the "before" picture always shocks you? It did. I was not prepared to see how I really look. When I get dressed and put on my makeup in the morning, I can suck it in and walk away from the mirror, fairly confident that I'm not muffin-topping today. I didn't even have the courage to post my "before" pic from tonight, so this is me for now. I've probably gained 5 pounds since this posted picture, too. I'm so happy that I get to try Dr. A's program. I'm not the sort of person obsessed with the number on the scale--I just want to be healthy and make positive changes in my life. I want to be more energetic and happy for my two beautiful daughters. If this program helps me look better in a swim suit, I won't argue! I'm really looking forward to reading the book and starting to try and make a better me.
So here I am, in all my big girl glory. I've lived all over the place, from California to Virginia to Florida to New York, but I currently reside in Syracuse, Utah, the flatlands by the Great Salt Lake. I'm starting Dr. A's program at (*gulp*) 205 pounds. I am really good at losing a pound here and there, but it always finds me again and brings back a friend. Here's hoping that I can change my health and my life!

No comments: