Friday, May 30, 2008

Intro to Ali B


I am Alicia B but because there are 2 Alicia's on this blog, I'll go by Ali B. to make it easier for y'all. A little about me: I am 38, a high school teacher, coach, life-long athlete, and because of my activity level, I have struggled with knee injuries which has often led to a struggle with weight. I grew up in a single parent environment where sometimes dinner was fast food, chocolate cake, and I felt like it was feast or famine. I never really liked fruits or vegetables as a child but have learned to like them as an adult. I also never really learned portion sizes or appropriate meals. Through my career teaching biology/science of the human body, I am an advocate for healthy living and preventive measures for creating an awareness in the next generation.


Presently, I am recovering from a knee injury (hard-core racquetball tournaments!!). I have seen a personal trainer and lost 20 pounds but would like to lose another 10-15. I know I am healthiest when I eat a higher protein diet, lower starches (pastas, breads, potatoes, etc). I don't smoke, or drink alcohol or even sodas. In fact, I typically just drink water (or no carb drinks like Crystal Light). I also know to maintain my weight and health I have to work out on a consistent basis. I try to go to the gym a minimal of 3 times per week and at my healthiest I am doing something physical daily! I do a routine of lunges, weights, pushups, squats and elliptical (I've worked up to 6.5 miles in an hour). I like to mix things up by playing racquetball, tennis, volleyball, go on hikes, bike rides, and walks.


I look forward to reading and applying the principles of Dr. A's book in my life. We can always use a little more advice to be more healthy! I just hope he doesn't tell me to give up ice cream...

No comments: