Monday, June 2, 2008

Epiphany

This is Juli. I'm back!

I'm on chapter 3 of Dr. A's book, so the words he has written have been bouncing around in my head as I've been running around with my family this weekend. After my husband's company picnic at the state fair grounds (my kids had a total blast!) my BFF picked me up to treat me to a hair cut for my birthday. Since she was picking up the tab, I decided to let her pick my new 'do. Heaven knows she has listened to me complain about my hair often enough, so I gave her free rein. I love the way my hair turned out, and as I was thinking about this teeny little nothing moment in my life--someone else helping me choose--I had an epiphany, you know, kind of like Oprah's "Aha!" moments.

I started thinking that the reason I have not been able to lose the weight I want is because I start a new health program or exercise program with great intentions, but bad habits. Since we're all creatures of habit, my own habits are sabotaging my efforts. I think I read somewhere that it takes 3 days to create a habit, but a month the break a habit! Dr. A talks about these bad habits in the book, and how it's not so much our fault that we are surrounded with ways to create habits that are bad for our health. So with my new sassy 'do inspiring me, I realized that I always got a bad haircut because I always did the same thing. When I let someone else guide me, it brought about a much needed change.

I'm going to keep reading! Dr. A is going to be like my BFF picking my new 'do. I'm 5'9" and I feel like 150 lbs. is a very healthy weight for my height. I really think his Habits of Health can get me there.

1 comment:

Carey M said...

It's funny how a new hairdo can change your personality. I cut my hair short once and I walked out with more spunk and a little bounce in my step! Good luck.