Friday, June 27, 2008

Fumble!

Wow, crazy stuff happened to me this week. I am teaching a nutrition class right now and I gave my class an assignment to bring a dish that contained components of all the food groups. I have been doing very well with Dr. A's diet, but the day the students brought their dishes, I ate very badly. There were a lot of pasta dishes and white flour breads. I tried them all. It was at 8:00 in the morning too! I noticed that by 9:00 am I was feeling really "ramped up!" I felt drugged. Not sleepy drugged.....hyper drugged. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I couldn't focus. I couldn't sit still. I was out of my mind. It dawned on me that I had indulged in many of the foods that Dr. A tells us to stay away from. I felt horrible. I felt like I had drank a pot of coffee. It took a good two hours for the effects of eating those foods that I have avoided for the past four weeks to wear off. Then....I crashed. I barely made it through the day, had to leave work an hour early, and was sound asleep by 5:00 pm.

I was blown away that my body reacted that way. It was almost like the foods I ate were toxic to my system. I'm glad it happened because I now realize the role that my diet was playing in the way I felt, both physically and mentally, prior to adopting Dr. A's dietary suggestions. I am amazed at the difference in my mood, the stability of my energy level, and the fact that I don't feel fatigued and stressed like I used to.....as long as I stay away from the "blacklisted" foods. I think the majority of the stress I was experiencing came from the physical stress that my body was feeling because the pace of my life hasn't changed one bit.

I stepped on the scale this morning and was pleased to see that I am down to 143 lbs, after breakfast, and fully clothed. I haven't really spent any time exercising either, so it's strictly the dietary changes that are producing the weight loss. I am pleased to announce that I am only 8 lbs away from my goal. The weight loss has slowed down to about a pound per week, but that is to be expected and I feel good about that pace. I am excited that I may only be 7 or 8 weeks away from my goal.

All of my other complaints have subsided. I feel great! I have been sleeping great this week too! Thank you, thank you, thank you Dr. A.....for giving me this gift. It has truly changed my life. More importantly, it isn't hard. I thought I would struggle, but after my feux pas this week, I realize the impact that diet can have on your well being.

No comments: