Friday, June 13, 2008

I am Non-Sick

My name is Sara, and I have arrived at a depressing realization: I am Non-Sick.

According to Dr. A's Habits of Health, you are non-sick if you can answer yes to any of these questions:
  • Overweight
  • Not sleeping
  • Fatigued
  • Weak
  • Stressed out
  • Consuming a lot of medications
I'm neither overweight or on a lot of medications. In fact, I tend to shy away from medications at all unless I am very sick. So I was a little startled to realize that I am very "non-sick." I answered a resounding YES! To every other question. I have chronic sleep issues, as a working mother of a now very mobile 9-month-old and horrible sleep issues, I am fatigued and weak.
I was recently diagnosed with severe panic disorder, which has led to feeling stressed out 24 hours a day.

Just thinking about non-sick makes me feel, well, sick.

However, I'm hopeful as I continue my path to optimal health with Dr. A. He sold me in Chapter 1 when he talked about high fructose corn syrup. I have been trying to eliminate ALL artificial sweetners and additives for a couple of years, when I was trying to have a baby. He is right. HFCS is awful. I can taste the difference in foods, and I feel different eliminating all of the "fake" stuff.

I am holding myself back from skipping to the sleep chapters now, because I know there is so much more to being healthy and not just "non-sick."

No comments: